Snapchat’s new feature Snapmap is not very good. It shares your location with your friends with every login of yours. It’s not hard to believe that you may consider blocking Snapchat from seeing your location. This is going to affect some features of Snapchat so it’s important to know about its consequences.
The features you may lose
It so obvious that if you turn off your location permission then Snap Map feature will not work. If you try to use it, you will be induced to enable location services. Basic filters can’t be used without location. It is also clear that the geofilters that are location based such as the temperature or altitude filters will not work. Although there is no reason the color filters should not work.
You will also not be able to use Snapchat’s “Add Nearby Users” feature. This is not really a deal breaker since there are some other ways to add Friends in Snapchat. The most critical consequence is that you will not be able to post any snaps to shared stories which are based on location. If you want to share a story for an event, you will not be able to continue. Except for these few features, Snapchat will continue to work normally. The feature of lenses that makes Snapchat popular will still work, despite the boring filters being removed.
How to Remove Snapchat’s Location Permissions?
For making sure that Snapchat gets no access to your phone’s location, It is important to restrict it from using it on a system by changing its app permissions. A brief overview is presented below:
On iPhones and iPads
If you have an iOS device, then do the following:
- Go to Settings and scroll down till you get to Snapchat.
- Switch the Location from While Using the App to Never.
- Snapchat now will not be able to use your location.
On Android Smartphones and Tablets
On Android devices, do the following:
- Open Settings>Apps and select Snapchat from the list.
- Choose Permissions and turn off the location.
- You will probably get a notification saying “The app was designed for the previous version of Android”, especially if your Snapchat is not updated in a while.
- Click on deny.
- Snapchat should still work alright but if it does not, you will be required to turn the location services on again.