Fetch files feature of OneDrive allows its user to upload all their files or documents on OneDrive and access it from any other computer. Users can access the folders and files of their PC remotely from other PC. You can download a file from OneDrive and view, edit and work on it from any computer. You can also do much more with OneDrive fetching feature.
Here are the full guidelines from start to finish regarding how to use the fetching feature of OneDrive.
How to download OneDrive in your PC
- Open your ‘Web browser.’
- Go to OneDrive’s download page.
- Click ‘Download Now’ and wait to download completely.
- Now, double click on the ‘Setup’ (OneDriveSetup.exe) file to run the setup.
- ‘Sign in with your Microsoft account and continue installation.
How to Enable Fetching files
Before enabling ‘Fetch’ make sure to,
- Check the internet connection of your Pc. Your PC should be connected to the internet to fetch data.
- Check that OneDrive is running to make sure that it running look at the notification tray at the right side of the taskbar. If there is an icon of OneDrive in the notification tray, it means it is running.
Now, follow the steps to enable Fetch on OneDrive:
- Open the notification tray.
- Right click on the OneDrive icon.
- Click on ‘Settings’ to open the OneDrive’s settings menu.
- Check the box of ‘Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC’ in General or Settings tab to enable it.
- Click ‘OK’ to exit from the settings menu.
- Right click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar.
- And click on ‘Exit.’ It requires restarting OneDrive to complete the process.
- Open OneDrive to start the service.
How to access OneDrive Online
If you’re away from your home and want to access the files of your PC, then you can do this with any available PC without installing the OneDrive application into that. Here is how to access OneDrive from other computers:
- Open any web browser into the other PC.
- Now, go to ‘OneDrive website.’
- Enter your OneDrive account details.
- And click on ‘Sign in.’
How to access files remotely
After turning on Fetch, you can remotely access the data from any Web browser. You just need to go to OneDrive Site and Sign in on it.
- Go to http://onedrive.live.com/.
- Log in.
- Click the ‘Hamburger menu’ button at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Click on ‘PCs’ into the menu. Here you’ll see all the PCs with OneDrive application installed and using your OneDrive account.
- Choose the ‘PC’ of which files you want to fetch or retrieve.
- Click on the ‘Sign in with a security code’ into the Security check section.
- Enter your ‘E-mail address’ to send a security code to this email.
- Check the security code into the inbox of that email address.
- Enter the ‘Security code’ in the box below to “Help us protect your account.”
- And ‘Submit.’
After completing the verification process, you’ll see your PC’s folders and files into the form of blue boxes. Click on it to open.
How to Upload a file to OneDrive
If you want to access and work on a file later from another PC or device, then upload the document to your OneDrive and download it on other PC to work on it.
To upload a file,
- Tick the check box of the file that you want to upload.
- Select ‘Upload to OneDrive’ on the header action menu.
- Select the destination in your OneDrive directory to store the file.
- Click the ‘Upload’ button and want to upload completely.
How to download files remotely
If you want to download any files on the current computer to work on it, then do the following:
- Go to the file on which you’ve to work.
- Just click on the file, it will start downloading.
Once it downloaded, you can view, edit and work on it.