Is your Mac behaving abnormally? What you should take into consideration is that there might be a fault in your System Management Controller or SMC causing this abnormal behavior. The fundamental purpose of an SMC is to control the secondary functions of a motherboard and to ease the extended load on it.
System Management Controller is hardware inculcated into your Mac for discouraging the primitive hardware functionality. As SMC performs many major tasks on your Mac, it is entirely possible to resolve the issue you are facing by resetting its default settings.
As the name suggests System Management Controller, controls many major system functionalities for helping the motherboard in regulating proper hardware working. You can view some of the major functions of an SMC down below.
- Responsible for controlling the power button and monitoring sleep mode if the Mac is not in use.
- Keeping constant monitoring on the system battery life and undermining the battery percentage on the screen according to the charging.
- Analyzing the heat levels and regulating the fan by increasing or decreasing the speed of the air flow.
- Using the motion sensors for sensing any potential danger and preventing it from damaging the Mac.
- Controlling the amount of keyboard and display backlight according to the lighting of the surroundings.
- Controlling trackpad functions in Mac.
As you would have observed various duties performed by the System Management Controller, you can conclude to a faulty SMC in your Mac if you are facing any such issues. You can refer to various other reasons as given below to assure that SMC is the main culprit in the abnormal behavior of your Mac.
- Abnormal finicality in sleep mode by not waking or going into sleep mode on giving a command.
- Entering the sleep mode without any command.
- Faulty display in power indicator or not displaying it at all.
- Not booting up of the Mac on pressing the power button.
- Taking long duration of time to charge or completely failing in charging the Mac.
- Unable in connecting with Wi-Fi or not showing the Wi-Fi device.
- Overheating of the Mac.
- Irregular Bluetooth pairing.
Methods for Resetting Macs SMC
If such issues are regularly appearing while using your Mac, you should try to reset your Mac’s SMC. For resetting your Mac’s SMC, you need to shut down your Mac by pressing the power button for 10 seconds and then by using the given below method you can reset your SMC.
Method to reset SMC in Macs with removable Batteries
- First, shut down your Mac and remove the batteries.
- Now, hold the power button for a minimum of 5-10 seconds and then release the button.
- Insert back the battery in its slot and turn on the Mac.
Method to reset SMC in Macs without removable Batteries
- First, you need to shut down the Mac
- Now press “Option key” and “Left shift” on the keyboard simultaneously.
- After ten seconds release all the pressed keys at the same time.
- Now you have to restart your Mac by pressing the power button.
Joey Williams is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. He writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. His articles have been published in many popular e-magazines and blogs.