It is the truth that your environment affects productivity and color influences a person’s memory and creativity. Of course, it is right in a pleasant environment everyone feels relax and good, and because of this you can work better. Since most of the work now has become digital and computer-based, so now your desktop has become your environment, and it plays an important role in productivity.
Suppose, If your desktop is not clean and all the app and folders are not arranged in a manner, and there are lots of unnecessary applications and folders in your desktop, this makes you feel uncomfortable, it will also be puzzling for you to find some essential app in limited time.
To make a clean and good looking desktop of Mac:
- Organize and arrange the desktop items.
- Delete and remove unnecessary items.
How to arrange and organize desktop items on Mac
Follow the tips to clean up and organize your desktop icons.
You can group files of related items into a folder. To do this:
- Right-click on the black space of your desktop.
- Click ‘New Folder’ to create a new folder. You can also create another type of files.
- Give a name to the new folder.
- Now, click and drag the item from your desktop into the folder. You can also select all the related items at a time and move it into the folder.
Make another new folder for other items. After grouping things into folders, you can sort them or arrange them according to you.
- Right-click on the blank space of desktop.
- Select ‘Clean up By.’
- Choose an option to arrange them according to that (Name, Date Modified, kind, size, etc.).
You can modify folders and apps spacing in Show view option by right clicking on blank space of your desktop or Choose snap to grid to automatically have files snap to a grid.
How to delete and remove unnecessary items from your Mac’s desktop
Before doing any organizing, you will need to delete or remove unnecessary items from your desktop. There are so many files and other things that you no longer need. These may be a time-consuming task, but it’s better than deleting an important file.
- Click and select the items you want to remove. You can choose more than one item or all.
- Then, Press the ‘Delete’ button. Confirm if ask. You can also drag the selected items into ‘Trash’ (bucket icon) and release to delete it.
But, still, now the item is not deleted permanently. To delete it permanently you need to empty the Trash.
To empty the trash:
- Click on ‘Trash’ icon to open it.
- Click ‘Empty’ on the top-right corner to empty the trash or delete the items permanently. Confirm if asked.
How to remove all icons from your Mac’s desktop
You can hide the entire desktop icon by using a Terminal command. Follow the steps to perform this:
- Launch ‘Terminal’ app.
- Type or copy & paste “defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false”.
- Press ‘Enter’.
- Enter second command “killall Finder.”
- Hit ‘Enter’ key.
To bring all your icons back: change the second step with “defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop true”.
There are also too many apps; you can also use any of them to clean junk or unnecessary files from your Mac.